# IoTDB Working Process
# Main link
IoTDB official website：https://iotdb.apache.org/
Code library for go language: https://github.com/apache/iotdb-client-go
Library for resources (project's documents, compiler, etc): https://github.com/apache/iotdb-bin-resources
Get started quickly：http://iotdb.apache.org/UserGuide/Master/QuickStart/QuickStart.html
Jira Task Management：https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IOTDB/issues
Wiki Document Management：https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IOTDB/Home\
Mailing list: https://firstname.lastname@example.org
Everyday build: https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/IoTDB/job/IoTDB-Pipe/job/master/
# Subscribe to mailing list
The mailing list is where the Apache project conducts technical discussions and communication with users. Follow the mailing list to receive mail.
Mailing list address：email@example.com
Follow method: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email you want to receive the email, the subject content is not limited, after receiving the reply, send a confirmation email to the confirmation address again (the confirmation address is longer, it is recommended gmail mailbox).
Other mailing list:
- email@example.com (for JIRA information notification.)
- If you only want to receive individual Jira notifications that you are interest in, you do not need to subscribe this mailing list. Instead, you just need to click "start-watching this issue" on the jira issue webpage or just comment on this issue.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Any code changes will be notified here, please note that this mailing list will be very large)
- email@example.com (Any code review comments will be notified here, please note that this mailing list will be very large)
# New features, bug feedback, improvements and more
All features or bugs that you want IoTDB to do can be raised on Jira：https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/IOTDB/issues
You can choose issue types: bug, improvement, new feature, etc. New issues will be automatically synchronized to the mailing list (notifications@), and subsequent discussions can be left on jira or on the mailing list. When the issue is resolved, close the issue.
# Email discussion content (English)
Joining the mailing list for the first time can introduce youself briefly. (Hi, I'm xxx ...)
Before developing a new feature, you can send an e-mail to declare the task you want to do.（Hi，I'm working on issue IOTDB-XXX，My plan is ...）
# Contributing documents
The content of all IoTDB official websites is in the docs of the project root directory:
- docs/SystemDesign: System Design Document-English Version
- docs/zh/SystemDesign: System Design Document-Chinese Version
- docs/UserGuide: User Guide English Version
- docs/zh/UserGuide: User Guide Chinese Version
- docs/Community: community English Version
- docs/zh/Community: community Chinese Version
- docs/Development: Development Guide English Version
- docs/zh/Development: Development Guide Chinese Version
Correspondence between versions and branches on the official website:
- In progress -> master
- major_version.x -> rel/major_version （eg 0.9.x -> rel/0.9）
- Images in Markdown can be uploaded to https://github.com/apache/iotdb-bin-resources for url
- Do not use special Unicode chars, e.g., U+FF1A
- Do not use the character of dollar (as we will use Latex to generate pdf files)
# Code Formatting
We use the Spotless plugin (opens new window) together with google-java-format (opens new window) to format our Java code. You can configure your IDE to automatically apply formatting on saving with these steps(Take idea as an example):
- Download the google-java-format plugin v18.104.22.168 (opens new window), it can be installed in IDEA (Preferences -> plugins -> search google-java-format), More detailed setup manual (opens new window)
- Install the plugin from disk (Plugins -> little gear icon -> "Install plugin from disk" -> Navigate to downloaded zip file)
- In the plugin settings, enable the plugin and keep the default Google code style (2-space indents)
- Remember to never update this plugin to a later version，until Spotless was upgraded to version 1.8+.
- Install the Save Actions plugin (opens new window) , and enable the plugin, along with "Optimize imports" and "Reformat file"
- In the "Save Actions" settings page, setup a "File Path Inclusion" for
.*\.java. Otherwise you will get unintended reformatting in other files you edit.
- Fix the issues of reordering the import packages: in IDEA: choose: Preferences | Editor | Code Style | Java | imports. At the tail of the panel, there is "Import Layout", change it to:
import org.apache.iotdb.* <blank line> import all other imports <blank line> import java.* <blank line> import static all other imports
# Contributing code
You can go to jira to pick up the existing issue or create your own issue and get it. The comment says that I can do this issue.
- Clone the repository to your own local repository, clone to the local, and associate the apache repository as the upstream upstream repository.
- Cut out a new branch from master. The branch name is determined by the function of this branch. It is usually called f_new_feature (such as f_storage_engine) or fix_bug (such as fix_query_cache_bug).
- Add code style as the root java-google-style.xml in the idea
- Modify the code and add test cases (unit test, integration test)
- Integration test reference:server/src/test/java/org/apache/iotdb/db/integration/IoTDBTimeZoneIT
mvn spotless:checkto check the code style and use
mvn spotless:applyto correct the code style
- Submit a PR, starting with [IOTDB-jira number]
- Email to dev mailing list：(I've submitted a PR for issue IOTDB-xxx [link])
- Make changes based on other people's reviews and continue to update until merged
- close jira issue
# IoTDB Debug Guide
# Import the code
# Intellij idea
It is recommended to use Intellij idea。
mvn clean package -DskipTests
If it is a version before eclipse 2019，users need to be executed in the root directory of IoTDB
mvn eclipse:eclipse -DskipTests。
import -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace -> Select IoTDB root directory
If the version after eclipse 2019
import -> Maven -> Existing Maven Projects
# Debugging code
Server main function：
server/src/main/java/org/apache/iotdb/db/service/IoTDB, can be started in debug mode.
cli/src/main/java/org/apache/iotdb/cli/，Use Cli for linux and WinCli for windows, you can start directly with the parameter "
-h 127.0.0.1 -p 6667 -u root -pw root"
Server rpc implementation (mainly used for cli and server communication, generally start interruption point here):
all jdbc statements：
native Write interface：
# Frequent Questions When Compiling the Source Code
I could not download thrift-* tools, like
Could not get content org.apache.maven.wagon.TransferFailedException: Transfer failed for https://github.com/apache/iotdb-bin-resources/blob/main/compile-tools/thrift-0.14-ubuntu
It is due to some network problems (especially in China), you can:
Download the file from the URL manually;
Put the file to thrift/target/tools/
Re-run maven command like
Copyright © 2021 The Apache Software Foundation.
Apache and the Apache feather logo are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation
Have a question? Connect with us on QQ, WeChat, or Slack. Join the community now.
We use Google Analytics to collect anonymous, aggregated usage information.